Family Day was first introduced in Alberta in 1990, and has since grown into a beloved holiday occurring on the third Monday in February. While Family Day might look a little different this year, it is rooted in the value of family and fortunately, there are many ways to spend time with our loved ones and celebrate our family units.
Below are a few ideas of some activities you can do with your family this year:
- Build a Blanket Fort: With the winter chill not quite lifted yet, building a blanket fort is a great way to spend the day with your family and watch movies, share laughs and enjoy some yummy snacks!
- Cook a Meal Together: From making mini personalized pizzas to cooking up a brand-new recipe or baking something delicious, the kitchen is a great space for family time and making fun memories!
- Try an Online Exercise Class: Want to enjoy your family and get a little exercise while you’re at it? Try an online workout class! Not only is this a fun activity you can do with your kids from home, but it is a great way to teach them about health and start setting up healthy habits for life.
- Do a Virtual Tour: A number of museums worldwide are offering free virtual tours! So even if you can’t travel somewhere, you can still enjoy new cultural experiences as a family.
- ZOOM with the Family: While you might not be able to have the entire family together, in person, we live in a digital world, which allows us to access the people we love at all times – no matter how far away they are! Call up your parents or grandparents, do an activity over the computer, have a story time session, or simply take a moment to ‘check-in’.
No matter how you spend it, I hope you have a wonderful Family Day this year and a chance to celebrate your loved ones!